The Endoscopy Unit at Fulton County Health Center is a state-of-the-art facility devoted to the care of patients with disease processes of the lungs and digestive tract. Our team of dedicated doctors and nurses seek to promote wellness and deliver the best patient care.
Using endoscopy, physicians can diagnose and treat a variety of disorders, such as abdominal pain, heartburn, vomiting, and bleeding from the intestinal tract. An endoscope is a flexible tube with an optical system that can be passed through the mouth or rectum allowing for direct viewing of the area being examined. Endoscopy can also be used to detect and remove polyps, stop bleeding, dilate strictures, biopsy lesions, along with other treatments.
Highly qualified physicians, with advanced training in endoscopic procedures, staff our Endoscopy Center. Included in our staff are three gastroenterologists (doctors specializing in the study and treatment of diseases of the stomach, intestines and related structures, such as the esophagus, liver, gallbladder and pancreas) and three pulmonologists (doctors specializing in the study and treatment of diseases of the lungs). Other specialties include physicians in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, and General Surgery. Our staff is dedicated to providing the best possible care for our patients and ensuring that your hospital stay is as comfortable as possible.
Procedures available at the Endoscopy Unit include:
- Bronchoscopy – an examination of the lungs used to detect cancer, infection and other diseases.
- Colonoscopy – an exam of the large intestine, used to diagnose cancer and other diseases of the colon.
- Liver Biopsies – Biopsies obtained under the guidance of ultrasound to diagnose and evaluate liver diseases.
- EGD (esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy) – an examination of the upper gastrointestinal tract, used to detect cancer, ulcerations, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and other disease processes.
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy – an exam of the rectum and lower part of the colon used to diagnose diseases of the colon, including cancer.
The Endoscopy Unit is located on the second floor of the Fulton County Health Center next to our Surgery Department. The center hours are Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. In addition, on-call staff is available 24-hours a day for emergency cases.